WILMINGTON, MA — Here are highlights of the Wilmington Police Log for Thursday, May 16, 2019:A property manager on Andover Street reported a tractor trailer unit was parked in the driveway, hindering traffic, and the driver refused to move. Police responded and spoke with driver, who was waiting for his truck to charge before moving along. Tractor trailer was not hindering traffic. (12:22pm)Fire Department responded to a brush fire on 93 North, near Exit 38. (4:58pm)A 2-vehicle crash took place on Middlesex Avenue near the library. All parties declined medical attention. One driver was issued a warning for marked lanes violation. (6:12pm)A caller reported her neighbor was in the hallway yelling at Avalon Oaks. Police responded and restored the peace. (7:47pm)A Fairmeadow Road caller reported hearing a loud bang and water spouting in the air down the street. Water Department was just flushing hydrants. (8:04pm)(DISCLAIMER: This information is public information. An arrest does not constitute a conviction. Any arrested person is innocent until proven guilty.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedPOLICE LOG for August 25: Police Respond Twice To Customers Behaving Badly At Market Basket; Erratic Driver Admits To TextingIn “Police Log”POLICE LOG for September 5: Train Conductor Helps Locate Missing Puppy; Rented Trucks Not Returned To UHaulIn “Police Log”POLICE LOG for July 24: Tractor Trailer Involved In Hit & Run; Billerica Man Issued Summons; Driver Hurt In CrashIn “Police Log”
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley noted that while it is important to maintain the pace of bringing down the fiscal deficit, it must also be focused on growth and has thus decided to continue with the medium term consolidation target of 3% of the GDP.He added that a timetable by itself would not be of much help to achieve the target, noting that he would take three years, instead of the earlier two years, to reach the target of 3%.Over the next three fiscal years, starting 2015-16, the fiscal deficit target is set at 3.9%, 3.5% for 2016-17 and 3.0% for 2017-18.
Tata Steel will officially put up its U.K. assets up for sale starting April 11, Britain’s business secretary Sajid Javid said after his meeting with Tata Group Chairman Cyrus Mistry in Mumbai Wednesday. The U.K. government assured support to buyers, as it seeks to protect thousands of jobs in the country. Javid and Mistry held talks in Mumbai after the former flew to India Tuesday and the two talked about “the details of the upcoming sales process and discussed timescales for any potential sale,” according to the British government’s Department for Business, Innovation & Skills. “A number of people have already started coming forward and I think more will do so once the formal process begins,” Javid reportedly said. Earlier this week, he held a meeting with Indian-origin businessman Sanjeev Gupta, who owns Liberty House metal group, on Tata Steel’s U.K. assets. While the Tata Group had earlier said it would leave the U.K. at the earliest, according to Reuters, the company assured the British government it would provide “reasonable” time for the sale process to be completed, Javid tweeted. “Met with Tata Steel in India today. I’m determined to do all I can to secure a long-term viable future for U.K. steel and workers. Constructive and positive meeting. Formal sales process will begin by Monday – govt will do all it can to help secure a serious buyer,” the British business minister said. “No set time frame. Tata Steel will allow a reasonable period to find a buyer,” he tweeted. Tata Steel’s exit from the U.K. is feared to affect nearly 40,000 jobs in the country, as it directly employs 15,000 people in the U.K. and deals with 25,000 other workers in the supply chain. The David Cameron government faced criticism from the Opposition over the potential crisis. “Workers and their families face a worrying time, and our priority is to help those likely to be affected,” Cameron had tweeted last week after Tata’s announcement. The Indian steel giant had cited high operation costs, weak demand as well as import of Chinese steel into Europe as reasons for leaving the U.K. Tata Steel’s U.K. business, including the country’s biggest steel plant at Port Talbot, is reportedly losing more than Â£1 million daily.
Rizvi AhmedBangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) has said that its allegation of vote ‘robbery’ in 30-December national election has been proved true with chief election commissioner KM Nurul Huda’s comment, reports UNB.”The CEC has said the risk of stuffing ballot boxes the night before the voting will reduce if EVMs are introduced. The fact over the election has started to emerge from Pandora’s Box,” said BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi on Saturday. Speaking at a press conference at BNP’s Naya Paltan central office, he also said, “The CEC’s slip of tongue has revealed the fact regarding the midnight election. His remark has demonstrated that the election was held at the midnight as the EVMs were not used.”Speaking at a training workshop of the election officials at the Nirbachan Bhaban on Friday ahead of upazila elections, KM Nurul Huda said the commission is planning to use electronic voting machines to make sure that ballot boxes cannot be stuffed on the night before an election.Since the national election, BNP and Jatiya Oikya Front have been accusing the ruling party of indulging in vote ‘robbery’ by stuffing ballot boxes on 29 December midnight.Stating that snatching people’s voting rights is tantamount to robbery, Rizvi said KM Nurul Huda committed a serious offence by holding a midnight election only to keep the current government in power illegally.”Your (CEC’s) remarks will remain as an important document to people about how a chief election commissioner allowed stuffing ballot boxes at midnight in a national election depriving people of their voting rights,” he said.The BNP leader questioned the CEC whether he allowed the ruling party to stuff ballot boxes on 29 December to justify the use of EVMs that were procured spending thousands crore of public money.He warned the CEC that he will have to be accountable to people some day for the midnight voting as sins never die.Rizvi said the CEC is trying to use the EVMs in the election as millions of taka is involved with it. “EVM is another means of indulging in vote fraud. No machine is required for ensuring a fair election, as only sincerity and commitment to democracy is enough for it.”He said not only the CEC, but also another election commissioner talked about the midnight voting carelessly as the truth cannot be buried.Rizvi voiced deep concern as their seriously sick chairperson Khaleda Zia is yet to be taken any hospital for treatment.He demanded the government shift her to United Hospital for ensuring proper treatment of her.