24 Oct

Alternative Pathways to Secondary Education Programme Fully Implemented

first_imgThe Alternative Pathways to Secondary Education programme – a seven-year period (Grades 7-13) of instruction for students on all secondary pathways – has been fully implemented.This was disclosed by Education, Youth and Information Minister, Senator the Hon. Ruel Reid, in his national back-to-school broadcast on January 6.Under this programme, instruction will be based on tailored curricula, enabling each learner to perform to his/her fullest potential, based on aptitude, interest and ability.“The Ministry effected an additional two years in our secondary-school system to provide students with skills and competencies required for work. This has been made possible under the framework of the Career Advancement Programme (CAP), which has been introduced in 202 institutions, so far, and is working well for our young people,” Senator Reid said.The Education Minister also informed that the integration of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in the education system continues, noting that over $100 million was provided to schools to upgrade science areas.In addition, Senator Reid said the Centre of Occupational Studies now has enrolled more than 1,000 students. The first graduation of over 400 students took place in November of last year.last_img read more

23 Oct

Fire Erupts on board Cidade de Maricá FPSO

first_imgzoom A fire broke out today on board the Cidade de Maricá FPSO platform, operated by Brazilian offshore major Petrobras.The FPSO is deployed to Lula field Lula Alto area, within BM-S-11 block in the Santos Basin pre-salt area, which is under concession to a consortium comprised of Petrobras, BG E&P Brasil Ltda. and Petrogal Brasil S.A.The fire was contained by local firefighting equipment, Petrobras said.The production of the platform has been suspended and will be resumed as soon as security tests are performed, the company added.There were no injuries reported to the crew and no pollution to the environment.The competent authorities were informed of the occurrence, Petrobras added.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more

15 Oct

STUDY SUGGESTS KIDS TELEVISION IN CANADA LACKS FEMALE REPRESENTATION

first_imgAdvertisement Advertisement Advertisement Researchers say the male presence is also dominant onscreen, particularly when it comes to non-human characters.The findings from a research lab led by Ryerson University’s Faculty Of Communication & Design and UCLA compared data with the results of a 2007 study on children’s TV.Prof. Colleen Russo Johnson, Toronto-based co-author of the new study, says not a lot changed in the decade between the studies.“In Canada we have not seen any change in the percentage of female representation seen onscreen,” Russo Johnson, co-director of the Center for Scholars and Storytellers, said in a phone interview.“We were at 35 per cent in 2007, and in 2017 we see that we were still at 35 per cent. That’s really disappointing to see.”In Canada, the study culled information from 595 programs and 154 hours of recording on seven television broadcasters.It found 62 per cent of children’s shows in Canada are created by men, 63 per cent of episodes are written by men, and 82 per cent are directed by men.“If we don’t get the representation behind the scenes, then it makes sense that we’re not going to see it reflected onscreen, because people often write to what they know,” said Russo Johnson, who led the Canadian data collection for the study.“It’s also really important that people are telling authentic stories. So if we want stories about diverse girls, they should be written by diverse girls.”When it comes to onscreen gender disparity, researchers found no difference in U.S. and Canadian public vs. commercial TV. Disney channel had the highest percentage of female characters of all channels with 51 per cent.The gender gap was greatest in non-human characters, particularly with robots/machines, of which only 15 per cent were female in Canada.Human characters in general are on the decline, said Russo Johnson, “which is unfortunate because there is some research that suggests that children actually learn better, especially prosocial lessons better, from human characters rather than anthropomorphic characters such as talking animals.”Non-fiction children’s programming is also on the decline, says the study, which found the majority of the content was fictional, and over three quarters of that was animated.The study found the majority of human characters on children’s TV are Caucasian — 65 per cent in the U.S., and 74 per cent in Canada. Other key findings from the report include a virtual absence of main kids’ characters with disabilities.Prof. Dafna Lemish of Rutgers University led the U.S. data collection and co-wrote the report with Russo Johnson, while Prof. Maya Gotz led the international study as a whole.They plan to publish the findings online and discuss it at events targeting students and content creators, especially those in animation, in Toronto and possibly New York and Los Angeles.“I am very assured that the future of kids’ TV is bright,” said Russo Johnson.“The producers and creators and writers I’ve already spoken to about this, they are just shocked about some of these findings. They’re like, ‘Well now that I know, I will be mindful and I can make changes.”‘By Victoria Ahearn ~ The Canadian Press Login/Register With: TORONTO — A new study suggests female representation is low in Canadian children’s television, both onscreen and off.The report from the non-profit Center for Scholars and Storytellers looked at a variety of areas of the children’s TV landscape in Canada and the U.S., using data from a sample of programs targeting children up to age 12 in November 2017.It found men dominate the professions behind the scenes, from directing to content creation and writing. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Twitter Facebooklast_img read more

19 Sep

AT THE FARABA BANTA COMMISSION

first_imgBY KEBBA MAMBURAYMore witnesses continue to testify at the Commission of inquiry set up by the President, to probe into the Faraba Banta incident which led to the death of three people, leaving many others seriously injured, when live bullets was sprayed on unarmed demonstrators against sand mining in that community, on the fateful day of June 18th 2018.On Friday July 20th 2018, Dawda Daffeh, testified before Commission Chairman Emmanuel Joof that on June 18th 2018, at the peak of the riots, a troop of PIU Officers approached the rioters and he heard their Commander giving them the command to ‘FIRE’, at the top of his voice; that all of a sudden, all hell broke loose as the Officers started emptying their rounds on the demonstrators; that the Officers first started firing tear gas canisters to disperse the rioters; that this was the time he also started to run for dear life, before entering one compound, to seek refuge.Testifying in Mandinka, another witness Alhagie Camara, also said he ran into one compound unconscious because of the tear gas; that after gaining consciousness, he realized that his phone fell, and returned to collect his mobile amid heavy stoning by the villagers; that this was the time the rioters were overcome by the PIU and started to retreat.Camara narrated that they ran up to the central praying ground, when he realized that his leg was trembling abnormally because of a bullet from a gunshot, which went through his thigh; that during all this time, he saw the PIU Officers chasing him and ran towards the Bantaba; that he was lucky to be assisted by some of the villagers who took him in and later took him to Brikama Health Centre, from where he was referred to Banjul’s EFSTH, for treatment. Camara said he saw some who were shot during the riot, in the persons of Jalang Darboe, Lamin Basowe Ceesay, Sheriffo touray, Pa Jammeh and Sainey Sonko including the three deceased who died of gunshots in the persons of the late Amadou Nyang, Bakary Kujabi and Ismaila Bah.Prior to this information, Camara testified that the villagers agreed to first and foremost, block the road to vehicle entry with logs and stones, to prevent the trucks from passing; that they were waiting for trucks to come with the intention of staging a peaceful protest at the road block. He narrated that whilst at the road block, they welcome the officers who alighted from their trucks but surprised them with the firing of tear gas canisters at the crowd, who scattered amid panic and ran for safety; that the armed officers followed the scattered gathering and things started to go bad; that this was how he got shot from behind in his left lower leg. Camara thanked God for being lucky that the bullet did not hit his bone but penetrated through his flesh.Another witness who testified before Commissioner Emmanuel Joof was Francis Jabang. Jabang testified that on 18th June 2018, he was not at the scene but at home; that the PIU Officers came to his compound with seals and batons but he denied them entry because he had disagreement with one of them; that he was hit with a baton on his upper arm and punched on his back; that one of them hit him on his forehead, that left a scar. Jabang said when he realized he was injured, he struggled and ran away from them; that the rioters then started stoning and the officers retreated. When asked if he was aware of a planned road block by the villagers, he answered in the positive but said as a soldier, he should not involve in such activities.Sitting continues today.last_img read more

17 Sep

Nations largest military job board applies Google technology

first_imgNation’s largest military job board applies Google technology Sasha Foo Categories: KUSI, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Sasha Foo, November 28, 2018center_img 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI)- The company that runs the nation’s largest military job board says a new Google search function is helping to produce more job leads for veterans.RecruitMilitary said its collaboration with Google gives service members a more effective means to match their work experience in the military to a job in the civilian world.Through technology developed by Google, the military job seeker enters their M.O.S.code, which stands for military occupational specialty. By adding the city and other factors such as geographic distance, the RecruitMilitary job board produces listings that translate the applicant’s military job skills to the civilian job market.The collaboration with Google is only a few months old, but RecruitMilitary said the enhanced search function has already had an impact.RecruitMilitary reported that applications by veterans on the website went up by 13%. The company said there has been a 50% increase in the number of jobs that come up in a search.Chris York, a client partner at RecruitMilitary said the job board is now being used by 1.4 million users.“Because of that collaboration with Google, the results returned are so much more enhanced as far as very meaningful results for that job seeker,” York said.RecruitMilitary is holding a job fair on November 29 in San Diego at the Scottish Rite Event Center. Nearly 60 regional employers will be represented. Posted: November 28, 2018 Updated: 7:47 PMlast_img read more

10 Sep

Amazons facial recognition software can now spot fear

first_img Amazon How a facial recognition ban could come to your city soon Facial recognition: Apple, Amazon, Google and the race for your face Facial recognition is a bipartisan concern on Capitol Hill Now playing: Watch this: 1 Amazon says its Rekognition software can track and analyze hundreds of people in a photo using a database with tens of millions of faces. Critics have expressed concerns about the technology, and the American Civil Liberties Union says it could be abused by law enforcement, posing a “grave threat to communities, including people of color and immigrants.” The ACLU on Tuesday said its test of Amazon’s Rekognition software wrongly flagged 26 California lawmakers as criminals. Amazon, however, says the ACLU is misrepresenting its facial recognition software.In July, the Orlando Police Department officially ended its Amazon Rekognition program after a bumpy ride. The department had temporarily stopped using Rekognition in June 2018 after the city’s pilot program with Amazon ended and after the ACLU penned an open letter to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos highlighting privacy concerns. Amazon employees have also protested the sale of Rekognition software to police. The Washington County Sheriff Office in Oregon is currently the only law enforcement listed as an Amazon Rekognition customer.Originally published Aug. 14Update, Aug. 15: Adds more background on Amazon’s Rekognition software. Comment Advances in AI and the proliferation of surveillance cameras have made it increasingly easier to watch and track individuals. Getty Images Amazon’s controversial facial recognition technology, called Rekognition, has a new skill. It can now spot fear. The company says it recently launched updates to Rekognition’s facial analysis features, including improved age estimation and the addition of fear to its emotion detection.”We have improved accuracy for emotion detection (for all 7 emotions: ‘Happy,’ ‘Sad,’ ‘Angry,’ ‘Surprised,’ ‘Disgusted,’ ‘Calm’ and ‘Confused’) and added a new emotion: ‘Fear,'” according to an update from Amazon on Monday. “Lastly, we have improved age range estimation accuracy; you also get narrower age ranges across most age groups.”center_img Tags Facial recognition Facial recognition is going to be everywhere 3:28 Security Share your voicelast_img read more