An eruption rocked Mount Merapi volcano, which stands on the border of Yogyakarta and Central Java, at 5:16 a.m. on Thursday morning.“The eruption lasted 150 seconds, spewing smoke and 2,000-meter-high ash column,” National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesperson Agus Wibowo said in a statement on Thursday.He added that during the eruption, the wind was blowing in a northwest direction, according to the Geological Disaster Technology Research and Development Center (BPPTKG). In a separate statement, BPPTKG head Hanik Humaida said the eruption spewed volcanic material over a radius of 1 kilometer from Merapi’s peak. It also brought ash rain down on several villages located 10 km south of the volcano.Read also: Mountains rumbling: Five most active volcanoes in the archipelagoThe BPPTKG added that Mount Merapi had erupted four times between September and November 2019, followed by volcanic earthquakes occurring at a depth of more than 1.5 km.“There has been an increase in Merapi’s volcanic activity from mid-December 2019 to mid-January this year, both under and on the ground,” Hanik said in the statement. “Similar eruptions can still happen in the future as an indicator that the magma chamber is still supplying magma.”Mount Merapi is one of the most active volcanoes in Indonesia. An eruption in 2010 left more than 300 people dead and forced almost 400,000 people to take refuge. Authorities have raised Merapi’s alert level to waspada (caution), the second-highest level in the country’s four-tiered alert system.The Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation Center (PVMBG) has advised residents and tourists to stay outside a 3-km radius of the peak of Merapi to avoid any possible danger.Topics :
The crude oil tanker MV Gulf Sky, which went missing for several days after going off radar, has reemerged in Iranian waters. 26 Indian seafarers have been repatriated to India and two still remain in Tehran, awaiting documentary clearance, the Dominica Maritime Flag Administration, and Human Rights at Sea said in a joint statement. The US Justice Department filed criminal charges with regard to the case. Yesterday, we were asked to see if we could locate a missing tanker. Her name is GULF SKY (9150377). We just found her.Left: Off the coast of Khor Fakkan, UAE, 2020-07-03Right: Yesterday, west of Hormuz Island Iran.Photos by @planetlabs Data by @MarineTraffic #OOTT pic.twitter.com/xlx1iTNCV4— TankerTrackers.com, Inc. (@TankerTrackers) July 15, 2020 The vessel had been missing for around nine days, and was traced by TankerTrackers.com website, enagaged in tracking oil trade at sea, yesterday afternoon. “Both organisations are very pleased that all Indian seafarers are safe and well and that their ordeal is now over, noting that it is understood that two seafarers are awaiting on repatriation from Iran,” the statement reads. The ship is under the current ownership of Muscat-based Taif Mining Services, while the management of the vessel was assigned to Mumbai-registered United Islands Maritime Ventures Private Limited. The crude tanker has been entangled into a legal dispute between the current and previous owners of the vessels for financial dues. The situation has resulted in challenging working conditions for the crew who were denied their salaries and even basic provisions during a global pandemic. “Piracy, in any form cannot be tolerated and we believe that the crew will deliver the key from which this mystery is unlocked,” President and CEO of the Commonwealth of Dominica International Ship Registry, Eric R. Dawicki, said. A flag state investigation into the case has also discovered a link between the vessel and Amir Dianat, who had been designated by the US Department of Treasury over alleged ties with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF) and efforts to generate revenue and smuggle weapons abroad. The ship had been under arrest in UAE under a UAE Admiralty Law injunction since January 2020 and was anchored off Port Khor Fakkan Anch, prohibited to sail. “Our initial concern was regarding the health and welfare of the crew, however, it is abundantly troubling that the crew is claiming that they were either coerced or forced to pick up anchor and get underway knowingly engaging in an act of piracy. According to Human Rights at Sea, the crew of the ship was allegedly kidnapped on the evening of July 5, 2020, by unknown persons and they were forcedly transferred to Iranian waters. “The 28-man crew will be the ultimate source of the facts of the incident and debriefing is still ongoing by the relevant agencies. Meantime, time, space and support must be given to the crew to settle back into daily life with their friends and families after their ordeal.” As disclosed, liaison with State authorities, welfare organizations, and all other pertinent parties is still ongoing.
Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netFilipino-German big man Christian Standhardinger banners Gilas Pilipinas’ 12-man lineup against Iran on Thursday in the fourth window of the Fiba World Cup Asian Qualifiers.Standhardinger will be teaming up with five other big men in first-timer Ian Sangalang, JP Erram, Raymond Almazan, Beau Belga and Asi Taulava as the Philippines braces for a titanic matchup with the 7-foot-2 Hamed Haddadi and the mighty Iranians, who are coming off a silver medal finish in the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Golovkin trainer calls positive test by Alvarez ‘insulting’ Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college LATEST STORIES MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Guards Alex Cabagnot and Scottie Thompson will also be making their Gilas debuts vs Iran with Paul Lee, Gabe Norwood, Marcio Lassiter and Allein Maliksi joining them.Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Al Panlilio announced the lineup Wednesday morning.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissDespite rushing to meet Fiba requirements and be cleared to play as local, Greg Slaughter did not make it to the final roster.Slaughter hurt his left ankle on Wednesday during Barangay Ginebra’s game against NorthPort in the PBA Governors’ Cup that deemed his status against Iran as questionable. Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Slaughter’s health status may have also led to Guiao selecting Standhardinger over crack guard Stanley Pringle as Gilas’ naturalized player.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments