How to help the Taal evacuees DAY6 is for everybody OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson LATEST STORIES Giving its shooters a long leash, the Elasto Painters bested the Texters, 106-102, earlier in the day.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Team PH caps Aimag stint with 2 silvers Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ The Gin Kings debunked that in a big way Wednesday night.Playing strong out of the gates, Ginebra thrashed San Miguel Beer, 104-84, crushing the Beermen’s dreams of scoring another Grand Slam while securing a slot in the Governors Cup semifinals.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“We kinda hammered it down tonight,” said Ginebra coach Tim Cone. “We are great rivals, San Miguel and us.”And as rivals, the Beermen weren’t going to get help from Cone, who has authored two of the five Grand Slam feats in the league—with Alaska in 1996 and San Mig Coffee in 2014. In ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ Comedy and Drama Collide Mos Burger to open in Manila; teases with a pop-up There is an age-old, hardly-discussed urban myth going around the PBA that whenever sister teams San Miguel Beer and Barangay Ginebra clash, one would give way to serve the need of the other.ADVERTISEMENT Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Before a big crowd at Mall of Asia Arena expecting action and drama, Ginebra proved that it would not hold its punches to help San Miguel achieve their own double triple-crown dream.In case anyone forgot, the Kings are the defending champions of the tournament and want to keep their crown.“I’ve said before that you can’t win a championship without facing San Miguel,” said Cone. “And the best way to beat them is when you have a twice to beat advantage.”“You can’t imagine how relieved I am right now,” added the classy, eloquent mentor. “It would be very hard to face San Miguel in a do-or-die playoff.”Ginebra will now await the winner of the Rain or Shine-TNT quarterfinal showdown, which went into sudden death.ADVERTISEMENT Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award MOST READ Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The National Pork Producers Council is pleased to announce the 2018 Lois Britt Memorial Pork Industry Scholarship, which is sponsored by CME Group and the National Pork Industry Foundation and is managed and administered by the National Pork Producers Council.The scholarship program was introduced in 1990 by CME Group and NPPC to celebrate the 25th anniversary of CME Hog futures. The scholarship was renamed in 2006 to honor the passing of NPPC Board of Director Lois Britt. Britt, a lifetime supporter of agriculture, spent 34 years with the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, finishing out her career for 15 years with Smithfield Hog Production doing Public and Government Relations. She was inducted into the NPPC Pork Industry Hall of Fame, the N.C. Pork Council Hall of Fame, and awarded the N.C. 4-H Lifetime Achievement Award as some of her many achievements.Ten $2,500 scholarships are awarded to students annually who intend to pursue a career in the pork industry with hopes that they may emerge as pork industry leaders themselves someday.To be eligible, applicants must:1. Be an undergraduate student in a two-year swine program or four-year college of agriculture, and a U.S. citizen.2. Write a brief letter indicating what role the applicant sees themselves playing in the pork industry after graduation.3. Submit an essay of 750 words or less describing an issue the applicant sees confronting the pork industry today or in the future, including offering their solutions.4. Obtain two letters of reference from current or former professors or industry professionals.5. Prepare a cover sheet with the following information:a. Name of Applicantb. Name of Schoolc. Year in Schoold. Contact Information (mailing address, telephone number & e-mail address)Please submit the items listed above in a single envelope via mail OR e-mail to the address listed below. All entries must be postmarked by JANUARY 5, 2018 to be accepted.National Pork Producers CouncilATTN: Lois Britt Memorial Pork Industry ScholarshipP.O. Box 10383Des Moines, IA 50306-9960E-mail Submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.Essays will be judged on the basis of clarity and expression, persuasiveness, originality, and relevance of topic. Winners will be announced at the National Pork Industry Forum in Kansas City, MO Feb. 28-March 2, 2018. NPPC and CME Group reserve the right to publish any or all parts the essays submitted.Please contact Cally Fix, NPPC Director of Industry Resource Development, with questions about the scholarship at (515)278-8012 or email@example.com.
Add some day-to-day reality into your next video project by including eye-catching on-screen text message visuals. Here’s how to do it the right way.Over the past few years, audiences have embraced on-screen text messages that pop up over a shot of a character holding a phone. Before the messages started appearing alone on the screen, filmmakers relied on showing footage of a phone. The technique was cumbersome and not visually interesting.Before going further, here’s a great look at the history of the on-screen text message from Every Frame A Painting. The video includes some of the best examples of this technique from television and film. What Works and What Doesn’tThe shot/reverse shot of a character and a phone is visually boring. Not only must you rely on a clear and legible shot of the phone, the image must stay up long enough for the audience to read. There are many problems with this. On set, you will waste countless hours trying to get a clean shot of the phone — especially if it’s handheld. This is why so many studios have switched to digitally replacing the screen.There have been attempts to make the phone shot more engaging by replacing the text with a video chat. However, this often ends with terrible results. The conversations feel forced and awkward.Image: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles via Nickelodeon MoviesAnother issue: phones are a product of their time. If you are working on a futuristic sci-fi film, but your actor is using a phone that’s three years old, it ruins the aesthetic. It can also be over-the-top product placement.Now that audiences have embraced on-screen text messaging, it’s actually become weird to see the actual phone face. Filmmakers can also showcase much more information using this technique. The audience can read the text and see the actor’s reaction to a message all at once. It also cuts down on runtime. The boring static shot of a phone no longer wastes an extra ten seconds, allowing you to quickly move the story forward.Image: House of Cards via NetflixHow to Add Text Message Speech BubblesThe easiest way to add on-screen text messages is to use After Effects. Now, you can certainly create and animate your own text bubbles — or you can just use the new Messenger After Effects template from RocketStock. It’s totally FREE.With this free After Effects template, you can create just about any on-screen text messaging combination you can think of. Instantly simulate the feel of Android or Apple iOS text messages. Customize the color and bubble size, insert photos and text messages, adjust the timing, and then you’re done. Just take a look at all the options in this demo.Download Now at RocketStock.comBig fan of free After Effects templates? Be sure to check out the other After Effects template freebies on RocketStock.
Bollywood actor-producer Abhishek Bachchan, whose Pro Kabaddi League franchise Jaipur Pink Panthers won the final match against U Mumba, says the victory feels like a dream.”Last night feels like a dream. Can’t believe that we won the Pro Kabaddi League. All the hard work of the boys, coach and staff came through,” Abhishek posted on Twitter Monday.Abhishek enjoys the moment of victory.”Thank u all for the unbelievable support!Any sport is made by the fans and Kabaddi has awesome fans! Thank u for supporting @JaipurPanthers,” he added.His team won against Ronnie Screwvala-owned franchise U Mumba, 35-24 in an enthralling final of the eight-city franchise-based Pro Kabaddi League here Sunday.Abhishek seems to be taking a keen interest in the country’s sports scenario. He was also recently unveiled as the team owner of the Chennai franchise of the Indian Super League (ISL) during the official launch of the glamorous football league.
Houston Rockets’ James Harden (13) goes up to shoot as Denver Nuggets’ Will Barton (5) defends during the second half of an NBA basketball game Thursday, March 28, 2019, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)HOUSTON — Known for their high-powered offense, the Houston Rockets downed the Denver Nuggets on Thursday night with a big defensive performance.“We played great defense tonight,” coach Mike D’Antoni said. “If we can do that, then I don’t care who’s out there.”ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Thanks to Goran Dragic triple-double, Heat get crucial win over Mavs UP NEXTNuggets: Visit Oklahoma City on Friday night.Rockets: Host Kings on Saturday.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess The victory is Houston’s third in four games as the Rockets bounced back from a 108-94 loss to Milwaukee on Tuesday night.Harden, Eric Gordon and P.J. Tucker managed just two 3-pointers combined against the Bucks on a night Houston went 16 for 52 from long range. The Rockets took a few less 3-point shots on Thursday with 40, but the trio fared way better in the area. Harden made five, Gordon added four and Tucker had one.The Nuggets, who entered the day just a half-game behind the first-place Golden State Warriors, got 20 points from Jamal Murray as they lost for the second time in three games after winning their previous six. They did not shoot well on 3-pointers, making just four of 24, with three coming from Gary Harris.The Rockets did a good job of feeding Clint Capela inside early and the center had 13 points and 11 rebounds by halftime. He finished with 17 points and 15 rebounds.The Nuggets had cut the lead to 13 midway through the third before a 3-pointer by Gordon started a 5-0 run that made it 76-58. Denver went on a 5-1 run, with a 3-pointer from Harris, after that but Harden ended the run with a 3 that left Houston up 80-63 with 2 ½ minutes left in the quarter.ADVERTISEMENT PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss View comments Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Google Philippines names new country director Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles James Harden scored 38 points and the Houston Rockets used a huge second quarter to build the lead and get an easy 112-85 win over the Nuggets.The Rockets trailed by as many as seven in the first quarter, but built a 62-44 lead at halftime behind a 40-point second quarter.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“Outside of the first quarter, I feel like we played our defense,” P.J. Tucker said. “We were aggressive, we helped each other, we stuck to our principles on what we wanted to do against this team. And when we do that, we feel like we could beat anybody on any given night.”Houston was up by 22 at the start of the fourth and a 5-0 run, with a 3 from Harden, made it 102-78 with five minutes remaining. D’Antoni cleared the bench with 3 ½ to go after the Rockets extended that run to 10-0, with another 3-pointer from Harden. LATEST STORIES Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants That 3-pointer started a 10-2 run by the Rockets, with the first eight points from Harden that left them up 87-65 entering the fourth.TIP-INSNuggets: Nikola Jokic had 16 points, eight rebounds and six assists. … Harris scored 11 points. … Monte Morris scored 16 points off the bench.Rockets: Capela extended his career-best streak of games with at least 10 rebounds to 11. … Gordon had 18 points. … Kenneth Faried sat out with a sore left knee. … Gerald Green missed the game with a strained groin.SWEET COUGARSThe Rockets recognized the Houston Cougars for reaching the Sweet 16 for the first time in 35 years between the first and second quarters. They played a video with highlights from the Phi Slama Jama teams, which reached the Final Four three straight seasons from 1982-84, before showing clips of this year’s Houston team, which faces Kentucky on Friday night. Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta, who graduated from Houston, then took the court with Hall of Famers Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler, who starred for the Cougars in the Phi Slama Jama days, and congratulated the team on its success this season.OH BABYDenver’s Malik Beasley returned Thursday night after missing Tuesday’s game at Detroit for the birth of his first child.His son Makai was born Tuesday and he rejoined the team on Wednesday night in Houston.“Family is first,” coach Michael Malone said. “I think Malik was nervous to be a dad and he was nervous about missing the game. That was a lot more important than being here for the Detroit game.”
Advertisement Canadians pay some of the highest prices in the world for their cellphone, Internet and TV services, but those bills could change depending on how Canada’s broadcast regulator handles some major issues it’s expected to decide on next year.The CRTC has several important hearings, reviews and rulings expected in 2017. Here’s a look at four of them:Differential PricingIn the fall, the CRTC held a weeklong hearing examining differential pricing, which occurs when a company offers customers the same or similar products at different prices. Specifically, the regulator looked at how Internet service providers use differential pricing with their data plans. The review came following complaints that some companies were not including certain music and video streaming services toward customer data plans, thereby acting as gatekeepers, influencing consumption and making it difficult for some providers to enter the marketplace. OpenMedia, a consumer advocacy group, has been calling for the elimination of data caps on home and wireless Internet plans. Others, however, argue the practice gives customers more choice.The CRTC is expected to set out a policy governing differential pricing next year.Wholesale Internet RatesThe CRTC will set final rates for what Bell, Rogers, Telus, SaskTel, Shaw, Cogeco, MTS and Videotron must charge smaller companies for access to their high-speed networks. The smaller service providers rely on those networks to offer Internet, TV and telephone services.The regulator set interim rates in October that were mostly lower — in some cases by up to 89 per cent — than what many of the incumbents wanted to charge. The CRTC says it’s setting the fees to help foster competition.If the final fees remain close to the interim ones, the smaller companies could pass on the savings to consumers by lowering their prices. That could put pressure on the bigger companies to follow suit.However, some of the incumbents have warned that low fees may slow or halt their broadband network investment — a threat some experts take with a grain of salt.The final rates are expected in the first half of 2017.Wireless Code ReviewIn February, the CRTC will hold a hearing to determine whether the wireless code of conduct, which took effect in December 2013, needs to be improved.After hearing from the public, the regulator created the code in part to help consumers understand their plans better, prevent bill shock, shorten contract lengths and lower cancellation fees.The CRTC started gathering feedback on the effectiveness of the code in September and will accept more submissions from the public between Feb. 6 and 14.So far, it has heard complaints about high prices, surprise charges, phone unlocking fees and wireless data limits, among other issues. If the CRTC concludes the code needs to be updated, some of those gripes could be addressed.Basic Telecommunications ServicesLast year, the CRTC launched its review of basic telecommunications services. It sought to determine which ones Canadians need to have to be able to meaningfully participate in the digital economy, as well as what the CRTC’s role is in ensuring all Canadians have affordable service options available to them.OpenMedia argued high-speed Internet access should be redefined as a basic service. Currently, low-speed Internet, individual line touch-tone phone service, a printed copy of the current phone book on request, and a number of phone services, including emergency, fall into that category.It called on the CRTC to give all Canadians access to broadband Internet for $30 monthly, and to provide better, more affordable access to the country’s remote and rural communities where broadband investment has lagged.The review could determine sufficient upload and download speeds, and create funding mechanisms to support the ability to supply modern telecommunications services.A spokeswoman for the CRTC says a decision may come before the end of the year.The Canadian Press Facebook LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: Twitter Advertisement Advertisement
APTN National NewsAssembly of First Nations National Chief Shawn Atleo is meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper Thursday afternoon as the political fallout over the housing crisis in Attawapiskat continues to escalate.The Conservative government has put Attawapiskat under third-party management, meaning an outside consultant will take over the administration of the band’s finances.Opposition politicians say the Conservatives are blaming Attawapiskat for its housing crisis instead of doing something to immediately improve the situation.Atleo said it'[s time to stop the blame game.“We need to move beyond the finger-pointing and blaming and first of all support the people of Attawapiskat,” said Atleo. “More broadly, we need to absolutely smash the status quo.”Harper is expected to meet with First Nations leaders in January for a historic First Nations-Crown summit.