26 Sep

Solskjaer confident Man Utd will give him time to rebuild

first_imgOle Gunnar Solskjaer is sure he will be given time to rebuild Manchester United. Loading… The Norwegian is under pressure again after back-to-back defeats against Burnley and Liverpool in the past week. On Sunday, Solskjaer takes his team to League One Tranmere for an FA Cup fourth round tie which is already being viewed as a potential giant-killing. The club’s former striker says all his chats with the club have been positive despite a worrying run of results in 2020 so far. He said: “When you start on something you stick to that plan, I’m not going to change six or nine or ten months into the job and go in a different way, “I’m going to stick to what I’ve been trusted to do and hopefully that’ll be good enough, that what we can see is right. “All my conversations with the club have been positive.Advertisementcenter_img “For me, we do have a way of doing things, you can see other teams have done well, Jurgen Klopp spent four years building his team and they’re doing well now. “It’s not gonna be a quick fix, not eight or ten players in the transfer window, we’ve had one proper transfer window and we are trying to do something now.” Solskjaer admits the roof has come off at United in recent years – but it is all part of the rebuilding process. He said: “Our fans know what we’ve started on, I’ve been trusted to start it by the club. Read Also:Serie A: Lukaku says split from Man Utd was ‘right decision’ “It doesn’t go one way all the time, always winning games, the foundations have to be laid, the culture has to be laid down, with this group a core of players. “They believe in themselves and I trust them. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

20 Sep

India grey washed

first_imgSiba K. GogoiA notable person once said, “the toughest battle you’ll ever fight in your life is the battle within yourself”. This is exactly what has been echoed by India’s cricketing superstar Virat Kohli. After India’s humiliating Test series defeat at the hands of the Kiwis recently, Kohli candidly admitted that India lost the battle in their heads. That it has come from the horse’s mouth has lent credence to the latest perception that all’s not well in Team India, at least for now. The manner in which New Zealand whitewashed India points to the flaws that are so identical to subcontinental cricketers, especially when they compete in SENA (South Africa, England, New Zealand, and Australia) countries. Fresh from their resounding Test series victory over South Africa on home soil, the world no.-1- ranked side were in for the toughest challenge the Kiwis could have ever planned. The touring side were handed a 10-wicket defeat in the first game at Wellington, while it was a 7-wicket drubbing for the visitors at Christchurch. The failure of the Indian batters to apply themselves in overseas conditions brought back memories of the days when players from the subcontinent were dismissed as flat-pitch bullies by some SENA experts. The sudden dip in Kohli’s form not only dented his reputation as India’s batting mainstay but also weakened the morale of his troops. The India skipper made only 38 runs in the four innings at an average of 9.50, his second-worst batting showing in any away series. This was also India’s first Test series whitewash under Kohli’s captaincy. Cricket is certainly not an individual game, but when a player of Kohli’s calibre performs it does impact the performance of the whole team. To make matters worse, Cheteswar Pujara and Ajinkya Rahane, two other key members of the national side, failed to rise to the occasion. Pujara is well known for his ability to hold team innings together, allowing his teammates to play around him. He had played a stellar role in India’s historic Test triumph in Australia in 2018-2019. This time round, in New Zealand, he managed only one half century (54). No one can dispute the fact that Rahane was until recently the most successful Indian batsman on foreign soil. He has performed remarkably in countries such as Australia, England, and South Africa. Curiously, Rahane has of late lost his rhythm in the 22-yard arena. With the likes of Shubman Gill waiting in the wings, Rahane has his task cut out in the days ahead. However, Pujara and Mayank Agarwal, the highest individual scorer (58) for his team in the series, salvaged some pride for the Indian batting department. The Indian openers not being able to shine on the big stage was another reason why the Virat Kohli-led squad struggled against the lethal bowling attack launched by the duo of Trent Boult and Tim Southee. Prithvi Shaw and Mayank Agarwal are still greenhorns so far as opening the batting in foreign conditions is concerned. The Indian team management could have asked KL Rahul to partner with either Prithvi or Mayank at the top of the order. Rahul is undoubtedly better equipped, with a sound technique, than Prithvi and Mayank. Of course, it was a good learning curve for the young Indian openers, for they got a well-deserved exposure to the treacherous swing and bounce international cricketers usually encounter in pitches offered in New Zealand. It is not difficult to understand why Indian batters, so accustomed to flat tracks across the country, get overwhelmed by the juicy pace, swing and bounce produced by pitches in countries like New Zealand. This also explains why India have always had poor outings as batting units in the Land of the Long White Cloud. Laying fast and bouncy tracks in India will be the best way to offset such challenges. While the Indian bowlers did fairly well during the two-Test series, Kohli’s team missed the services of Bhuvneswar Kumar whose ability to swing the cricket ball both ways could have made some difference to the outcome of the bilateral contest. Virat Kohli was unlucky enough to have lost the toss on both the occasions. Just as menacing spin troubles batsmen on the last two days of a Test match played in India, batting first in a Test match in New Zealand is like climb a mountain for subcontinental players. India still leads the points table in the ICC World Test Championship, and the Indian players, as King Kohli rightly says, need to be brave and positive to clinch the ultimate trophy.(The writer is a senior journalist. He can be reached at [email protected])Also Read: Virat Kohli is in 30s now, needs to practise more: Kapil DevAlso Watch: Ex-AAGSU president Prem Tamang joins BJPlast_img read more

17 Sep

WAITING GAME: Syracuse rolls over Northern Iowa in second half after lethargic start

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 11, 2010 at 12:00 pm Every defensive stop provided an opportunity to run. Syracuse had narrowly hung to a three-point halftime lead, but that was in a methodical half-court game. Once the season-opening jitters were gone, it was time to change it up. It was time to fly. ‘What we were lacking in the first half were those transition buckets,’ junior forward Kris Joseph said. ‘Our transition played into it a lot. Our defense is what created it all.’ What began with the Orange struggling out of the gates Friday led to a runaway 68-46 victory over Northern Iowa in front of a crowd of 22,198 in its season opener inside the Carrier Dome. Syracuse used its defense to push the ball in transition and separate itself against a pesky Northern Iowa squad. The Orange overcame a horrific first half shooting performance by creating 12 turnovers and held the Panthers to just seven field goals in the second half.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text ‘This being the home opener, guys were nervous,’ senior forward Rick Jackson said. ‘But I think we came out the second half and we did a good job on defense and that helped out offense a lot. ‘We got out and ran.’ Within minutes of opening the second half, what was a tight game quickly turned into a beatdown. Though the Orange only scored four points on the break, pushing the tempo allowed SU to find players in spots by not letting the Panthers set up their defense. The difference was evident. Syracuse shot just 31.8 percent from the field in the first half, compared with 65.2 percent in the second. Syracuse also outscored Northern Iowa 45-26 in the second half. ‘That’s a long defense,’ Northern Iowa point guard Kwadzo Ahelegbe said. ‘Those guys are long and when we got good looks, we just didn’t hit the shots. Credit their defense.’ Northern Iowa shot just 27.3 percent from the field for the game, making just 6-of-33 from 3-point territory. For a team that relies so much on the 3-point shot, the poor shooting numbers became too much to overcome. Eventually, Syracuse began hitting shots and it started rolling. But to the players, that was all generated by the stops that were made on the defensive side of the ball. ‘That’s what we stress,’ freshman Dion Waiters said. ‘We’re a great defensive team if everybody plays together. And in the second half, we started hitting shots.’ Jackson and Joseph led the Orange with 14 points apiece. Joseph failed to connect on a single field goal in the first half, but came up big in the second because of the Orange’s aggressiveness in transition in the second. With each second half 3-pointer or dunk, the home crowd erupted. A dunk by freshman C.J. Fair and a big 3 by Waiters added fuel to the fire. Just five minutes into the second half, SU was up by 15. By the end of the game, Syracuse was seemingly hitting everything it put up. The Orange finished the game by more than doubling its first half output. ‘The only difference in the game,’ Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said, ‘we got same shots second half and (we) were a little more patient, and we knocked them down and they didn’t. Our defense was good, we hounded their shooters.’ With three new starters and four freshmen in Boeheim’s rotation, season-opening jitters were bound to happen. So at halftime, Boeheim settled his team down and the Orange never looked back. Boeheim’s calming message was simple. ‘Basically, just play basketball,’ Waiters said. ‘We were thinking too much. And just have fun while you’re out there. ‘Now we’re celebrating a ‘W.” [email protected]center_img Commentslast_img read more

31 Aug

Barbados police detain head of offshore University

first_imgPolice have detained the chief executive officer of the Washington University of Barbados, Gopi Venkat Rao, after he was linked to a scheme that swindled hundreds of students of thousands of dollars.Venkat Rao is wanted in India amid allegations that he had promised the students admission to foreign medical universities. Soon after his arrest on Friday, nearly 200 students gathered for a meeting with a high level government team led by the Minister of People Empowerment and Elder Affairs Cynthia Forde and including Parliamentary Secretary for the Ministry of People Empowerment Neil Rowe, and officials from the ministries of labor,health, and education, and the Welfare Department.Students dupedThe students and faculty employees were only made aware of Venkat Rao’s deceit on Sunday, September 30 after media outlets India Times News Network and The Hindu newspaper had reported that over 200 students were duped by an educational consultancy firm of which he is the owner.Six of Venkat Rao’s staff members were arrested in India, and police launched a hunt for the director, his wife Nikita Venkat and an associate identified as Zameer, The Hindu reported.Promised placement in US medical colleges According to media reports, the fraudsters convinced clients that they had secured tie-ups with medical institutions in several countries. They allegedly promised them seats in medical colleges in the United States and China.A consultant for the Washington University of Barbados, Subash Agarwal, questioned the procedures the unaccredited university went through to be registered in Barbados.The on-line publication Barbados TODAY reported that Agarwal was speaking as a parent who invested US$32 000 in his daughter’s education.He was recruited by the Venkat’s company in India and was assured that the institution met all the necessary health requirements by a video which was presented to the staff before their arrival in Barbados.The video featured prominent Barbadian politicians guaranteeing that the institution met the necessarily stipulations, said Agarwal.Assured by former Min. of EducationHe claimed a month after the general elections, former Minister of Education Ronald Jones visited the campus and assured the staff and students that they would soon be accredited by the Barbados Accreditation Council.“They provided a letter to all the consulting people, gave us videos of the health minister, Prime Minister, videos in their function at the university . . . . I thought all was well.”last_img read more

24 Dec

AN GRIANAN FORT IMAGE INCLUDED ON NEW IRISH PASSPORT

first_imgGrianan of Aileach Photo By Adam Rory PorterAN Grianan Fort has been included in images on the newly-designed Irish Passport, Tanaiste Eamonn Gilmore revealed today.The Grianan of Aileach, the ancient fort in Burt is linked to the Ulster Ui Neill high kings.Other images include Cliffs of Moher, the Samuel Beckett bridge on the River Liffey, Croagh Patrick, the Aviva stadium, Cork Opera House and the Rock of Cashel. Drawings of Gaelic games, dance, fishing and music also feature, along with the national anthem, written in music throughout the booklet. AN GRIANAN FORT IMAGE INCLUDED ON NEW IRISH PASSPORT was last modified: September 30th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:An grianan of aileachdonegalirish passportlast_img read more