24 Sep

Benitez, Paulinho back to China and into coronavirus quarantine

first_img A number of foreign players, including Paulinho’s teammate Anderson Talisca and former West Ham United striker Marko Arnautovic – now with Shanghai SIPG – are yet to return. The CSL was scheduled to begin on February 22 but was postponed in January because of the health alert. The Chinese Football Association had been looking at late June or early July as a new start time, but the earliest possible date now looks to be mid-July. However, the Guangzhou Daily on Tuesday said that CFA plans to rescue the season by basing the 16 teams in two groups, in Guangzhou in the south and Shanghai/Suzhou in the east, have been rejected by the government’s top sports authority. Champions League winner Rafael Benitez and former Barcelona star Paulinho have arrived back in China after being locked out by coronavirus, but now face 14 days’ quarantine and an indefinite wait for the season to begin. Paulinho (C) is a key player for Guangzhou Evergrande About a third of the foreign players and coaches in the Chinese Super League have been unable to come back since late March after the country barred entry to most foreigners. Dalian Pro coach Benitez and Paulinho, Guangzhou Evergrande’s Brazilian international midfielder, were two of the highest profile figures stranded abroad. However, former Real Madrid and Liverpool manager Benitez, 60, wrote on the Twitter-like Weibo late Monday that he was “back in China” via Stockholm. The 31-year-old Paulinho, a central figure in Evergrande’s CSL title triumph last season, was pictured landing in China early Tuesday wearing a face mask. Under China’s strict rules to stop the spread of coronavirus – which emerged in the country at the end of last year – all returnees must quarantine for 14 days. Read Also: Sarri targets first Juventus trophy against former club Napoli “In desperation” the CFA is now looking at Dalian in the northeast and Suzhou, near Shanghai, the newspaper reported. China is now battling a fresh outbreak of coronavirus in the capital Beijing, having seen the number of reported deaths and infections decline markedly in recent weeks. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Promoted ContentWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right NowThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black HolesWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Dronelast_img read more

8 Sep

Joe Judge: No shirking responsibility in coronavirus fight

first_img Joe Judge is doing more than teach football to the New York Giants in his first training camp as the coach of a franchise that has fallen on hard times.In a world learning to deal with the ever-present threat of coronavirus, Judge has been relentless in discussing safety and responsibility to his players and coaches.As we have seen in baseball, a mistake here or there, can put either a team, or likely, multiple teams on the sidelines for more than a week.When the Giants players and coaches reported to the teams last month, many were given the option of staying either in a team hotel or traveling back and forth from home to the team’s headquarters in East Rutherford, New Jersey.There were no mandates everyone had to stay in one place, Judge said, noting the NFL is not requiring players and coaches be in a bubble-like atmosphere like the NBA and NHL.Those who chose to stay in the hotels were given rules and curfews. The ones who went home are not free to do what they want.“We express to the ones on the outside that they have to make the right decisions how they structure their nights,” Judge said Wednesday in a virtual call with the media.”I’d say the biggest message I’ve had to everybody, whether it’s my coaches, the support staff and the players. It’s not about being in a bubble. That doesn’t exist. It’s about making the right decisions away from the building and making sure we don’t bring someone in the building.”Judge said neither him nor anyone on the team has the right to go out to get something to eat and possibly bring back the virus to the team. It not only hurts the team, the impact might be felt around the league.“Everyone’s working (the 32 teams) toward the same goal,” he added. “No one within this building is entitled to cut short the pursuit of that goal.”Talking about seeing his team for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic knocked out organized team activities and camps for rookies and veterans, Judge said he was pleased with the energy the team has shown and its desire to improve.“That’s all I ask for right now,” he said. “There’s an urgency to improve. There’s an urgency to learn. We’ve got a lot of guys that have reached out to coaches on their own for help.“A lot of players are in meeting rooms doing extra together. You can see the things you want to go ahead and your culture coming together already. And that’s important. That’s got to sustain over the test of time. A few days together doesn’t solve all problems. But as far as the starting point, I’m very pleased with that in the direction that we’re going.”Judge said offensive lineman Nick Gates, who signed a two-year extension after Nate Solder opted out of the season last week because of concerns about the virus, will be tried at tackle, guard and center. It was assumed Gates would battle veteran Cam Fleming for the right tackle spot and first-round draft pick Andrew Thomas would take over for Solder at left tackle.Judge also said he is just looking for second-year quarterback Daniel Jones to show daily progress in a new system. Had it been the same system, Jones probably would have been asked to show a greater understanding of it.The new coach said defensive tackle Leonard Williams, who is earning $16.1 million this season, is doing everything asked to heal a hamstring injury. It is not known whether he will be ready for the first practice.NOTES: Cornerback Sam Beal became the third Giants player to opt out of the 2020 season. Beal joins starting left tackle Nate Solder and wide receiver Da’Mari Scott in choosing not to play this year. The deadline for players to opt out of the season is 4 p.m. EDT on Thursday. Written By First Published: 6th August, 2020 05:34 IST Last Updated: 6th August, 2020 05:34 IST Joe Judge: No Shirking Responsibility In Coronavirus Fight Joe Judge is doing more than teach football to the New York Giants in his first training camp as the coach of a franchise that has fallen on hard times. FOLLOW US Associated Press Television News center_img COMMENT SUBSCRIBE TO US LIVE TV WATCH US LIVElast_img read more