25 Sep

Repatriation of stranded Bacolod, NegOcc OFWs continues

first_imgAround 4:30 a.m. on Monday, 12 residents of Bacolod City and 19 from various cities and municipalities in Negros Occidental arrived at the Bacolod-Silay Airport in Silay City from Manila via an AirAsia sweeper flight. On Saturday, a Philippine Air Force C-130 aircraft from Manila arrived at the airport around 7:20 p.m., bringing home a total of 40 OFWs – 16 residents of Bacolod City and 24 others from Negros Occidental. Around 6 a.m. that day, seven OFWs from Bacolod City also came home along with 18 others from Negros Occidental aboard another AirAsia flight from Manila. It was in response to President Rodrigo Duterte’s directive to immediately send all the OFWs stuck in quarantine centers in Metro Manila to their respective homes within a week.(With a report from PNA/PN) A series of special flights and voyages arrived in Negros Occidental in the past week after the Department of the Interior and Local Government issued a resolution on May 25 that more than 24,000 OFWs in Metro Manila coming from various regions would be transported at an estimate of 8,000 persons per day to different provinces and cities. On Sunday afternoon, another group of repatriated OFWs, including eight from Negros Occidental and three from Bacolod City, arrived at the port of Escalante City in northern Negros Occidental from Tabuelan, Cebu. A Philippine Air Force C-130 aircraft lands at the Bacolod-Silay Airport in Silay City, Negros Occidental from Manila around 7:20 p.m. on May 30. It carried a total of 40 overseas Filipino workers – 16 residents from Bacolod City and 24 others from different cities and towns of the province. PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT OF NEGROS OCCIDENTAL In the morning of the same day, a 2Go Group vessel from Manila brought home 11 OFWs from this city and 16 from this province, along with two locally stranded individuals. BACOLOD City – Some 134 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who are residents of this city and Negros Occidental stranded in Manila or Cebu due to travel restrictions imposed to curb the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 have returned home.The repatriated OFWs are currently staying at hotels, tourist inns or pension houses here, upon the respective agreements of this city and this province with the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration.last_img read more

21 Sep

Sarries edge past Connacht

first_imgAviva Premiership leaders Saracens were made to fight tooth and nail for a 23-17 opening win in the Heineken Cup, needing a late Owen Farrell penalty to edge past a hugely determined Connacht side. A brace of penalties from Farrell were the only scores of a defence-dominated second half at the Sportsground, as 8/1 outsiders Connacht – inspired by man of the match Kieran Marmion – stayed in the hunt for a shock victory. They almost got it right at the death as bodies piled in close to the Sarries line, but replacements Aly Muldowney and Paul O’Donohoe were held up short and the relieved visitors got out of Galway with the points. This entertaining Pool Three opener seemed to be going to script early on as converted tries from Chris Wyles and Chris Ashton saw Saracens stride into an early 14-3 lead. But, despite a further penalty from Farrell, Mark McCall’s men were reeled in by half-time. Scrum-half Marmion and Danie Poolman both touched down with the latter’s score – converted by Dan Parks – getting Connacht back level at 17-17. A second Farrell penalty put the visitors ahead again in the 53rd minute and the England and Lions fly-half decisively added his fifth successful kick of the night with five minutes to go. Quarter-final and semi-final appearances in successive seasons have certainly whetted Sarries’ appetite for European success and they laid down an early marker here with Wyles and Ashton’s scores. United States international Wyles scorched home for the sixth-minute opener, following some smart link-up play between Farrell and David Strettle straight from a lineout. With his centre partner Joel Tomkins running the decoy, Wyles was set free and he showed good pace to finish off with Farrell converting. Connacht, wearing an all-black strip, respond through the boot of Parks, who swung a difficult penalty over from the right. However, the power-packed visitors put the pressure back on from the restart. McCall’s side gave evidence of their expansive ability as backs and forwards suddenly flooded forward, including the strong-carrying Mako Vunipola. His front-row colleague Schalk Brits was standing wide on the right to put Ashton over for a neat finish in the corner. Farrell’s crisp conversion widened the gap to 11 points – just reward for Sarries’ high level of execution and the control shown by half-backs Farrell and Neil de Kock. But their Connacht counterparts, Parks and Marmion, drove the province back into the game in the second quarter, with the hosts also tightening up their defence after some costly missed tackles. Poolman did well to hare after a high kick and Marmion profited, collecting the ball out wide and cutting through from the left for an opportunist 18th-minute try. Parks tapped over the simple conversion. Sarries answered back with a long-range Farrell penalty but Connacht exerted more control approaching the break. Their forwards grew in stature and a spell of patient build-up play was rewarded just past the hour mark when South African Poolman stepped inside two defenders to score, with quick passes from John Muldoon and Marmion creating the chance. Parks converted but missed a late penalty as the sides went in all square, and Saracens regrouped to force the issue on the resumption with George Kruis and scrum-half De Kock both going close. George Naoupu leaked a penalty near the Connacht line which allowed Farrell to boot his side back in front, but the hosts’ gritty defence continued to frustrate Sarries. After conceding a huge amount of territory, heroic Connacht had their opportunity to build from a penalty far out and their forwards probed before Saracens won a scrum and eventually cleared from their 22. The game remained in the balance as Farrell flicked a drop goal effort wide, however Saracens did enough to claim a tight six-point verdict in the end – the key moment seeing a Steve Borthwick-led maul set up Farrell’s match-winning penalty. Press Associationlast_img read more

20 Jan

Clarendon College cool Little London

first_imgReynaldo Richardson struck twice to lead title contenders Clarendon College to a hard-fought 3-0 victory over the well-drilled Little London High in the ISSA/Flow daCosta Cup quarter-final yesterday in the feature match of a double-header at the Frome Sports Ground.Petersfield edged Fair Prospect 2-1 in the first game, to give themselves a shot at advancing to the next round from Zone R, which is being led by defending champions St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS).The champions roughed up Vere Tech 4-1 in Santa Cruz to underline their intent and are clearly now rounding into the kind of form coach Omar Wedderburn mentioned after their last game.It took the Clarendon aggregation 56 minutes to break what was up until then, a wonderful spectacle of attacking football, when Richardson fired in a torrid shot from an angle for the 1-0 lead.Richardson scored the second three minutes later, this time as a Creggton Charleton free-kick was headed back across the goal and the forward made no mistake from inside the six-yard area, to make the score 2-0.FREE-KICK GOALClive Jarrett hit Clarendon’s third off another Charleton free kick in the 86th minute with a simple finish, after the Little London goalie Clifford Clarke had the ball bounced off his right leg.The Zone S clash, began with Little London playing at a high tempo and looked the smarter of the two in the opening exchanges.But they could not sustain the high velocity, and Clarendon slowly began taking a hold of proceedings, through Charleton and Shande James in the midfield.Coach Paul ‘Tegat’ Davis made a slight adjustment at the start of the second half, and it paid rich dividends with Richardson opening the scoring. From there, it was practically all Clarendon.Little London’s bravery was broken and they succumbed to their second loss of the season.”This was a game in which our experience showed, primarily in the second half,” said coach Davis.”Little London came at us hard in the first, but we buckled down to play some good football. It was a really competitive game, but I am happy to have won with just one more game in this round and the semi-final on the horizon,” noted Davis.Elsewhere, Cornwall College continued their steamrolling express with a difficult 2-1 win over Ocho Rios, thanks to yet another two-goal burst from leading scorer Jourdaine Fletcher to join Manchester High on 6 points in Zone P. Manchester defeated Glenmuir 2-1.Dinthill returned to winning ways, outplaying Rusea’s 3-1 in Zone Q to be on 3 points, and stay second in the zone behind Lennon High (6 points).Lennon had earlier in the day tagged Paul Bogle 1-0 to hold prime position heading into a semi-final berth.Yesterday’s resultsSTETHS 4, Vere Tech 1Ocho Rios 1, Cornwall College 2Manchester 2, Glenmuir 1Steer Town 3, Spot Valley 0Dinthill 3, Rusea’s 1Clarendon College 3, Little London 0Petersfield 2, Fair Prospect 1Lennon High 1, Paul Bogle 0last_img read more